Summer placement is a good way to gain valuable and hands-on work experience in a research lab. It will help you to develop your skills and prepare you for your future career. Placements for the following year are always advertised from November/December period to Late April/early May of the year you will be applying. It’s advisable you apply in the early months to be confident of securing a place. Also, try to apply to multiple places because you may not be lucky enough to get a place if you apply only for one placement. You should also aim at emailing academic staff in the biological research lab at Newcastle University requesting for a placement opportunity over the summer. Newcastle University also offers vacation studentship opportunities to students in their second year. If you are finding it difficult to get a placement or don’t know what to do, please speak to a member of the careers service or to your tutor.
The following organisations offer placements (or funding for placements) to students during the summer months. I have provided a direct link to the webpage where you could find further information about the placement they offer and when you can apply. Please note that students in their penultimate year studying an undergraduate course in a bioscience-related course can apply. Second year students of Newcastle University School of Biomedical Sciences are eligible to apply. The links below were working when I last visited the webpage. Please check with specific organisation website for application deadlines. Good luck!
- London Research Institute (very competitive, I apply last year but was unsuccessful at the interview)
- International Undergraduate Summer School, John Innes Centre. APPLICATION OPENS IN OCTOBER (Apply via the link)
- Wellcome Trust
- Sanger Institute
- BBSRC (Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council)
- Biochemical Society (Offers funding)
- BSPP (British Society for Plant Pathology)
- Action on Hearing Loss (Offers grants for placements).
- Amgen Scholars (placements available in different universities around Europe and America)
- Vienna Biocentre Summer School
- MRC, Medical Research Council
- Beatson Institute
- Institute of Child Health, UCL
- Association for the study of Animal Behaviour Undergraduate Project Scholarships
- British Mycological Society Undergraduate Student Bursary
- British Phycological Society Summer Undergraduate Research Projects
- British Pharmacological Society Vacation Studentship
- British Society For Cell Biology Summer Studentship (They funded my summer research project in Dr Jeremy Brown’s lab).
- British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy Vacation Scholarship Grants
- The Physiological Society Undergraduate Vacation studentship scheme
I will endeavour to continually update this page with the most recent information about placement opportunities. Also help yourself by searching for placements on google. To be notified when next this page is updated please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the CONTACT US form.